Receiving treatment at Croydon Elective Centre
Croydon Elective Centre is a dedicated area within Croydon University Hospital for us to restart our important services following the COVID-19 outbreak.
The Elective Centre provides a protected environment for you to come in for your treatment, with strict infection control policies and controlled access, ensuring we protect you, and our staff, from the virus.
What are we doing to protect you?
We are putting in place a number of measures to protect you during your visit to hospital. These include:
- Following strict infection prevention protocols and social distancing guidance
- Deep-cleaning our hospital theatres, equipment and wards even more often
- Providing dedicated operating theatres for patients being treated for planned procedures, away from other areas of the hospital
- Keeping our staff safe by providing them with the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Ensuring that anyone who comes to hospital for surgery and some other planned care has followed guidance on self-isolating and tested negative for coronavirus
Where is Croydon Elective Centre?
Situated in the hospital’s London Wing (Blue Zone), Croydon Elective Centre includes ten operating theatres, Coulsdon 1 and Dolphin Day Units, Queens 1 ward, our cardiac catheter lab and some other areas, forming a new space sealed off from the rest of the hospital to provide a protective environment for you when you come into the hospital for planned procedures. This is also called a “COVID protected area.”
What do you need to do before your treatment?
Any patients coming in to those areas will need to follow clear guidance, some of which you will find in this leaflet. You must also have self-isolated for either 7 or 14 days depending on the treatment you are having; have no symptoms of COVID-19, norovirus or flu and you must have tested negative for COVID-19 before your procedure.
Where is the COVID swabbing pod?
The COVID swabbing pod is a drive-in testing clinic housed behind the hospital’s Emergency Department. This can be accessed via Crossland Road, as marked on the map below. Access will not be available via the Emergency Department car park.
The swabbing pod can only be accessed from outside of the hospital as a drive in service, as per the map below. Please do not enter the hospital.
A trained healthcare professional will complete a COVID-19 PCR test—a simple nose and throat swab—through your car window.