- Service Manager Lead: Mrs Anna Cowling
- Address: Purley War Memorial Hospital 856 Brighton Rd, Purley, CR8 2YL
Bone density scan service (DEXA)
Dual energy X-ray absortiometry (DEXA) scans are used to measure bone mineral density. This is a common test for osteoporosis.
This service is only available at Purley War Memorial Hospital by appointment only.
Purley Hospital’s diagnostic services can be used by anyone who has been sent by their GP or other medical professional - you need a referral to use
these services. The hospital offers digital X-Ray, DEXA (bone density) and ultrasound scans mostly done by sonographers and can be used as an alternative to travelling to Croydon University Hospital. You will be given an appointment by your healthcare professional to use these services.
- This service is available to adults aged 20 years and over, who are not pregnant and who fit the following criteria:
- Previous fragility/low trauma fracture
- Radiological evidence of osteopenia and/or vertebral deformity
- Perimenopausal women for whom HRT may not be appropriate (including premature menopause age <45 years)
- Prolonged secondary amenorrhoea (>1 year)
- Prolonged cortiscosteriod therapy (>7.5mg Prednisolone for 6 months or more) and not on any bone protection therapy (e.g. Calcium and Vit D)
- Primary hypogonadism
- Family history of osteoporosis especially maternal history of hip fracture
- Loss of height, thoracic kyphosis (after radiological confirmation of vertebral deformity)
- Low body mass index (<19kg.m2)
- Chronic disorders associated with osteoporosis (see below)
- For checking response to existing therapy
- The following is a list of disorders that are associated with secondary osteoporosis (RCP Guidelines):
- Anorexia nervosa
- Malabortion syndromes
- Primary hyperparthyriodism
- Post transplantation
- Chronic renal failure
- Prolonged immobilisation
- Cushing's syndrome
Requests and results
Requests should be made via Sunquest ICE
Results are sent back to GPs via Sunquest ICE.
Purley War Memorial Hospital
856 Brighton Road
Tel: 020 8401 3240