UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative E-learning for GPs
This e-learning package has been endorsed by the Royal College of GPs.
Croydon Health Services NHS Trust is implementing the UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative (BFI) in both the hospital and community settings. The aim is to improve both the initiation and duration of breastfeeding in Croydon. UNICEF BFI has created a new e-learning package for GPs, which is now available to Croydon GPs.
This online training aims to provide GPs with the information necessary to support a breastfeeding mother – particularly one who may be experiencing problems.
This training will equip GPs with:
- a basic understanding of how breastfeeding works
- knowledge of how to treat common breast conditions (mastitis, thrush, etc.)
- how to access a reliable reference source for prescribing drugs for breastfeeding mothers
Before you begin
Please read the 'UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative E-learning for GPs Guidance for Participants'. It may be helpful to have this to hand while completing the online training.
The e-learning package will take about 25 minutes to complete. You will need to have access to a printer before you start to ensure you can print out a certificate for your CPPE/CPD portfolio.
Towards the end of the online programme you will be asked to complete the “empty” boxes in on-screen flow charts with the names and contact numbers for:
- Health visitors in your area
- Community midwives in your area Local maternity unit/hospital
- The breastfeeding lead for your practice area (Catherine Cooper, Croydon Breastfeeding Support Team, 020 8714 2975)
- Information about local breastfeeding support, pump hire etc.
There is no restriction on the number of times an individual can access the package themselves, but you will start from the beginning each time (usage of this login will be monitored).
**It is important to make sure you fully complete the training by clicking the last button of the programme and printing out a copy of your certificate. If these final steps are not completed - you will not be recorded as completing the module.
How to access training
Once you log on to the programme, you will need to enter the following details:
- Your name
- GMC number
- Name of practice
If you have any queries regarding the UNICEF ‘Baby Friendly Initiative’ or how to access this training please contact:
Croydon Breastfeeding Support Team
Telephone number: 020 8714 2985